How dogs can help children with Autism
Growing up with dogs has been shown to have many health benefits for children with Autism, here are some of the benefits which have been reported:
• Dog provides a sense of security as dog will love us unconditionally
• Can help decrease ‘meltdowns’ and aggression
• Decrease anxiety
• Children are more likely to try new things
• More able to face their fears
• Can increase sociability due to the dog being an ‘ice-breaker’ and taking the focus away from the child
• Can encourage verbal communication as the child talks to the dog and also increases vocabulary.
If you have a dog or other pets, here are a few things to consider before you adopt.